Pennsylvania

 

Pennsylvania is home to several classic carousels. We have not yet visited all of Pennsylvania’s carousels.

 

Albion

Borough Park

 

This carousel is one of our favorites. It is a circa 1892 United States Merry-Go-Round Company two-row with fourteen jumpers, eight menagerie animals including four deer and four zebras. The jumpers and menagerie animals are stationary in the jumping position and do not go up and down. There are two chariots (one original) on the platform. The band organ is a Frati and Co. model.

 

The original location of the carousel is unknown, but it has been at Albion Borough Park since 1947.

 

For information on operating times call the town of Albion at 814-756-3660 or access their website at www.albioborough.org.

 

For further information:

 

The National Carousel Association

http://carousels.org/USACensus/stdqueries/census-CLA.html

 

Link to Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qis9Na0MYIU

 

 

    

 

    

 

     

 

  

 

 

Allentown

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

 

We have not yet visited Dorney Park to see the 1921 Dentzel carousel.

 

 

 

Elysburg

Knoebels Amusement Resort

 

Knoebels Amusement Resort

 

Knoebels Amusement Resort is a wonderful park in a wooded setting with free parking and admission. All you do is pay for rides and food. Knoebels is home to a grand carousel and a kiddie carousel.

 

Besides two classic and historic carousels, Knoebels has an excellent collection of band organs and has a carousel museum.

 

Grand Carousel

The Grand Carousel is a 1913 Kremer’s Carousel Works platform with carvings by Charles Carmel. The 4-row carousel consists of 27 jumpers, 36 standers and three chariots. The chariots are thought to have been carved by Charles Looff. The carousel was at North Beach on Long Island, New York from the time of its manufacture until an unknown time. The carousel eventually was installed at Riverside Park, Rahway, NJ where it remained until1941when it was moved to Knoebels. The Grand Carousel is only one of two Kremer’s carousels still in operation. It is thought that the carousel was originally a Looff carousel that was adapted to new jumping horses.

 

The scroll and stencil work on the sweeps and supports is beautiful (see photo, below).

 

There is an operational ring arm.

 

The band organ is a 1988 Frati which was converted to play 61 key Artizan rolls. There is a smaller band organ on the outside of the carousel: a 1910 Gebruder Bruder Co. (Style 107). Another band organ on site is a Wilhelm Bruder (Model 79).

 

For information on operating hours call 800-487-4386 or access their website at www.knoebels.com.

 

Links to Youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8cYnJctRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSslThrnx0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srQuMh0gSYg

 

 

 

 

 

      

 

      

 

Rounding Boards

 

Band Organ

 

Sweeps

 

      

 

      

 

      

 

 

 

Kiddieland Carousel

This carousel is a rare, circa 1910 Stein and Goldstein with sixteen jumpers, twelve standers and two chariots. The carousel has been at various locations as indicated by the National Carousel Association:

 

Original Location Unknown

Croops Glen Park, Hunlock Creek, PA, Date Unknown to 1948
Knoebels Amusement Resort, Elysburg, PA, 1948 to 1950
Sunset Beach Park, Harveys Lake, PA, 1950 to 1960s
George Perluke, Beach Haven, PA, 1960s to 1975
Knoebels Amusement Resort, Elysburg, PA, 1976 to present

 

The band organ is a Dekleist barrel machine. “This organ was originally made by the Bruder Firm in Waldkirch, Germany around 1900. It was converted to play American-made pinned cylinders by Wurlitzer and shipped from their factory [on] April 24, 1914 as a style 18C barrel organ with serial number 2865. It was converted to a duplex paper roll system and shipped by Wurlitzer to Wilkes Barre, PA on May 13, 1925. It first appeared at Knoebels in the late 1920's with the park's first carousel, operated by concessionaire Joseph Gallagher. It went into storage in the 1930's where it fell victim to vandals, thieves, countless squirrels and rodents. Its façade became the front of a ticket booth in Kiddieland.  Restoration began in 1983, and on March 7, 1986, the organ played for the first time in 50 years. A set of bells has been added, and the original 150 duplex roll frame was restored and returned to the organ, as was the façade. It took its place with the S&G carousel in 1988 following the relocation of the carousel from the Spacewalk site to where it is now, in a permanent building” (www.knoebels.com).

 

For Further Information:

 

Rutherford, Scott. 2013 (November). Knoebels celebrates Grand Carousel’s 100th anniversary. Amusement Today. http://www.amusementtoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/at_nov_2013_proofs.pdf.

 

The National Carousel Association

http://carousels.org/USACensus/stdqueries/census-CLA.html

 

      

 

      

 

      

 

  

 

Kiddie Carousel Band Organ

 

From Knoebels Carousel Museum

 

 

Illions (L) and Stein and Goldstein (R) barber chairs.

 

 

 

 

Hershey

Hersheypark

 

Hersheypark is a 121-acre family oriented, spotlessly clean and meticulously groomed theme park with amusements and rides, a water park (The Boardwalk at Hersheypark), and a zoo (ZooAmerica) featuring over 200 species from North America. Hersheypark was created by Milton S. Hershey, founder of the Hershey Chocolate Company, in 1906 “as leisure grounds for employees of Hershey's Chocolate Factory”. The park opened to the public in 1907. It is one of the oldest amusement parks in the United States. Although the name of the park was originally Hershey Park, the name was changed to Hersheypark in 1970-1971.

 

The amusement part of Hersheypark features rides for people of all ages. There are kiddie rides (nearly twenty-five), family rides (over thirty-five), adult thrill rides of all heights and speeds and a dozen water rides. There are thirteen roller coaster rides!

 

Hersheypark attracts over 3.25 million visitors each year.

 

There are many attractions in the area ranging from arenas for sports and concerts, Hershey’s Chocolate World, and shops to an outlet mall.

 

The first ride at the park, a Herschell-Spillman carousel, was installed in 1908. The “carrousel” presently at the park is a beautifully restored and maintained 1919, four-row, Philadelphia Toboggan Company (#47) with forty-two jumpers, twenty-four standers and two chariots. At the time the carousel was built, John Zalar was the master carver so it can be assumed that he either carved the horses or they were carved under his direction and guidance. The scenic panels are beautiful. The carousel was originally at Liberty Park in Baltimore, Maryland until 1929 when it moved to Enna Jettick Park, Auburn, New York where it remained until 1944 when it was acquired by Hershey Park.

 

The band organ is a beautiful and elaborate 1926 Wurlitzer 153.

 

 

We wish to thank Kathy Burrows for providing us with admission to Hersheypark. The hospitality of Ms. Burrows, Guest Services, and the many employees of the park is noted and very much appreciated.

 

For more information about Hersheypark, call (717) 534-3900 or access their website at www.hersheypark.com.

 

For additional information about the carousel:

 

The National Carousel Association

http://carousels.org/USACensus/stdqueries/census-CLA.html

 

 

 

 

    

 

    

 

    

 

    

 

    

 

    

 

Scenery Panels

   

 

  

 

 

Ligonier

Idlewild Park

 

We have not yet visited Idlewild Park to view the 1931 Philadelphia Toboggan Company #83.

 

 

 

Millville

Millville Community Park

 

Since 1940, the carousel in Millville Community Park is owned by the Millville Community Fire Department. The original location of the carousel is unknown, but until 1940, it was at Columbia Park in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania. It is a 1920s, three-row, potable Allan Herschell carousel. There are 36 jumpers and two chariots. The carousel only operates during the week of July 4. Although it was re-painted in 1986, with chipping and cracking paint and wood, the carousel is in desperate need of restoration as can be seen from the photographs below.

 

For operating times call 570-458-5783 or access the Millville Fire Department at www.millvillefirecompany.com/.

 

For more information:

The National Carousel Association

http://carousels.org/USACensus/stdqueries/census-CLA.html

 

 

    

 

    

 

 

 

    

 

    

 

 

 

Pen Argyl

Weona Park

 

The carousel at Weona Park is a rare, stationary, circa 1900, three-row Dentzel with 34 standers, ten menagerie animals (three giraffes, three deer, three goats and one zebra) and two chariots. The carousel has been at Weona Park since 1923. Its original location is unknown. The pavilion housing the carousel was built in 1923.

 

There is an operational ring arm. There is no band organ.

 

The carousel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

For information on operating hours call 610-863-9249 or access their website at www.penargylborough.com.

 

For Further Information:

 

The National Carousel Association

http://carousels.org/USACensus/stdqueries/census-CLA.html

 

Link to Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gqSA8KkMuI

 

 

 

 

 

   

 

    

 

    

 

    

 

    

 

    

 

 

Philadelphia

Please Touch Museum

 

We have not yet visited Please Touch Museum to view the 1902 Dentzel carousel.

 

 

Tipton

DelGrosso’s Amusement Park

Delgrosso's Amusement Park logo

 

DelGrosso’s classic carousel is a 1924 three-row, portable Spillman Engineering consisting of 24 jumpers with horsehair tails and two chariots. The carousel is in its original 1924 location (Bland’s Park). The carousel is in excellent condition and was last restored in 1988.

 

DelGrosso’s Amusement Park is conveniently located off Interstate 99 near Tyrone and Altoona. The park is beautifully groomed and has a new expanded water park. There are plenty of rides for the children. The park has many food options. In fact, some visitors go to the park just to eat. Parking and admission to the park are free. All you do is pay for the rides and use of the water park. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.

 

The DelGrosso family purchased Bland Park in 1946 and renamed it.

 

 

For further information call 814-684-3538 or access their website at http://www.mydelgrossopark.com/

 

Links to Youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLD_xsJighk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1CNLp6upkE&list=PLU2xnGhPMTJyeY635XaXwhbQy1e1F7Yoa&index=13

 

    

 

    

 

    

 

    

 

    

 


 

 

West Mifflin

Kennywood Park

 

Kennywood is a delightful park that is well groomed and maintained. The park opened in 1898 as a trolley park at the terminus of one of the Monongahela Street Railway Company lines. Two original buildings remain. The park is only one of two parks on the National Register of Historic Places. In addition to its Dentzel carousel, the park has many vintage rides including its famous 1920 John Miller/Harry Baker wooden Jack Rabbit Roller Coaster and several vintage and classic kiddie rides including a 1924 Mangels Whippersnapper (a kiddie version of the Mangels Whip.) and a 1930s Traver Engineering Auto Race.

 

A picture containing text, newspaper

Description automatically generated

 

 

The carousel is a 1926 four-row Dentzel with fifty 50 jumpers, fourteen standers, two menagerie animals (one lion and one tiger) and four chariots. The carousel is in its original location.

 

For operating times call 412-461-0500 or access the Kennywood website at http://www.kennywood.com.

 

For Further Information:

The National Carousel Association

http://carousels.org/USACensus/stdqueries/census-CLA.html

 

Links to Youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiChvMo2gzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jJLFnT1k40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouw0iSmU37E

 

 


        

 

       

 

  

 

    

 

`    

 

    

 

    

 

    

 

    

 

Rounding boards, inside panels and decorative trim

    

 

 

 

 

 

Wrightstown

Indian Walk Country Shop

 



This carousel is a circa 1910 (maybe as early as 1890) Herschell-Spillman three-row with 36 jumpers and two chariots. The carousel was part of a traveling carnival until 1927 when it became permanently installed at Butler Park in Washington, NJ where it remained until 1954. In 1991, it was installed at Indian Walk Country Shop.

 

The carousel is very rare in that it may be the only remaining Herschell-Spillman carousel with a wagon mount.

 

For information on operating schedule call 215-598-0707 or access their website at www.carouselvillage.com.

 

For Further Information:

 

The National Carousel Association

http://carousels.org/USACensus/stdqueries/census-CLA.html

 

 

 

    

 

The above photo clearly shows the carousel mounted on the wagon.