Rhode Island

East Providence (Riverside)

Crescent Park


This classic, historical carousel was used by Charles Looff to display his work after he moved his company from Brooklyn, New York to East Providence, Rhode Island in 1895. The completely restored carousel, built in 1895, remains in its original location. The carousel has a 50-foot platform consisting of four rows of 56 jumping horses, 5 standing horses, 1 camel and 4 chariots. Each horse is different. The ring arm is operational. The spectacular band organ is a Ruth und Sohn Model 38. The carousel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.


A close up of a sign

Description automatically generated 

Rides are $1.00


For opening times call 401-435-7518.


For further Information:


Crescent Park Looff Carousel: http://www.crescentparkcarousel.org/

Carousel History: http://carouselhistory.com/

The National Carousel Association: http://carousels.org/index.html


Links to Youtube videos:






















Misquamicut Beach State Park/Atlantic Beach Park

Flying Horses


The Flying Horses carousel at Misquamicut Beach State Park/Atlantic Beach Park in Westerly, Rhode Island was manufactured by the Herschell Spillman Company in 1915. It is a two-platform carousel with 39 jumping horses, one menagerie animal (a poor rendition of a zebra) and two chariots. Many of the horses are easily recognized as being created by Marcus Illions due to the liberal use of gold leaf. Apparently, the Illions horses are from an earlier Atlantic Beach Park carousel. The two chariots are Illions dragons. Unlike most carousels, this carousel has the smaller horses on the outside lower platform rather than on the inside.


The band organ is an Artizan. Regrettably, it was not playing typical carousel music when we visited.


Rides are $2.00. For further information call 401-322-6504.


For further information:



Links to Youtube videos:















Slater Memorial Park

Looff Carousel



The Looff Carousel at Slater Memorial Park was built in 1895. It operated in upstate New York until 1910, when it was moved to Slater Park. The animals are stationary. There are 44 standing horses, six menagerie animals (a camel, 3 dogs, a giraffe and a lion) and two chariots. The band organ is a 1910 North Tonawanda #109. The carousel has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1976.


Because of its extreme state of disrepair, the carousel was closed for several years and re-opened in 1979. Grants and private donations allowed for a complete restoration of the carousel from 1989 to 2001. William Finkelstein restored each horse and menagerie animal. The power mechanism was refurbished by Oliver Barrette Millwrights.


The carousel building features a snack bar with popcorn, soda and water.


Rides are $0.50. For further information call 401-728-0500 x252. 


For further information:




Mullholland, Bill, 2010, unpublished history available at the carousel.


Carousel History:



The National Carousel Association:









Watch Hill

Watch Hill Park

Flying Horse Carousel


The carousel at Watch Hill is a portable ca. 1867 “flying horse” built by the Charles W. Dare Company of New York. The carousel was part of a travelling carnival, but it was abandoned in Watch Hill in 1883. It is one of the oldest operational carousels and is the oldest flying horse carousel in America. The ring arm is fully operational.


The twenty horses, probably carved by Andrew Christian as rocking horses, are in two rows and suspended by a rod and a chain. It is thought that Christian went into business with Charles W, Dare, an amusement ride manufacturer, but before Christian carved new horses, he supplied Dare with surplus rocking horses. It is quite probable that the horses date to as early as 1861.The horses have horse hair tails and manes, leather saddles and original agate eyes. The legs are straight out as would be found on a spring rocking horse giving the appearance that the horses are flying.


The carousel was powered by two men turning cranks until they were replaced by a horse. Water power was used starting in 1897 until the carousel was electrified in 1914.


Remarkably, the horses were recovered from sand dunes and restored after a 1938 hurricane. Three chariots were lost, and it was decided they would not be replaced. In 1987, the Watch Hill Flying Horse Carousel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.


The carousel is open summers only and is exclusively for children weighing less than 100 pounds.


For further information call 401-348-6007.


For further Information:


Watch Hill Beach and Carousel


Carousel History



The National Carousel Association



                                Links to Youtube videos: